Saturday, July 23, 2011

23 July 2011

I did write yesterday, I did!  Not a lot (at all), but I did make some progress.  Granted, I'm not sure if it's very good...

Anyway, I'm trying to motivate myself now.  Earlier today, I was reading One Piece--Water 7 specifically--and I was so pumped about plotting and character motivation.  (I was reading right before Franky's flashback.  I think it's Franky's arc is prett cool.  He's introduced as a who-the-fuck-is-this villain and winds up being incredibly significant. The writer has to consider not just the story, but the reader's experience.  Nobody pulls this off like Oda).  So, I was pumped to keep on plotting out Book 2, which is starting to take shape, by the way, though it needs more big moments, when I had to go grocery shopping.  :/ Of course, when I got back, I was too busy reading my new Soap Opera Digest to write.

Frankly, at the moment, I'd much rather plot than work on God-damned paragraph construction.  Plotting is so romantic.  That's what people talk about, after all.  No one ever mentions the subtle maneuvers, the careful shifts of tone or perspective, and I can see why.  They're not all that interesting.  Of course, without them, the material is unreadable and the plot indecipherable.

That's where I am now.  I've just finished reading about Rita Stapleton and Iva Snyder, and now I have to concern myself with whether the encounter with the Nakadimas reads well...

For the moment, that's all I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment